Superintendent's 2017-2018 Goals
2017-2018 SUPERINTENDENT GOALS
CATEGORY A: Student Growth and Achievement
Foster a learning environment in which every student has the maximum opportunity to achieve academic excellence.
- Report to the Board by December 2017 of District priorities based on the Curriculum Audit and Special Education Audit and a timeframe for implementation.
- Report to the Board by December 2017 on the benchmark testing and pre-PSAT results and continue to implement the plan for remediating the achievement and learning gaps measured by PVAS, classroom grades, PSSAs, PSAT/SAT scores.
- By April of 2018 provide an update on District actions to remediate achievement/learning gaps District-wide that are evident in numerous assessment/achievement data including but not limited to PSSAs, Keystones, PSAT, SAT, and post-graduation placement.
- By June 2018 provide an update to the Board about actions taken across the District based on the Strategic Plan, the Curriculum Audit and the Special Education Audit.
CATEGORY B: Strategic Planning
Having adopted the five-year strategic plan in June 2016, lead the Administration, Board, teachers, students and community in the continued implementation of the plan.
- Effectively monitor and evaluate progress towards compliance with the CSD’s strategic plan and the inclusion of measurable actions across the District to incorporate and address findings from the Curriculum and Special Education Audits.
- Present a report on the Strategic Plan to the Board by June 2018 that reflects progress towards the vision and goals of the plan.
CATEGORY C: School Climate and Culture
Ensure a school environment for staff, teachers, students and families that is welcoming and buildings that are inviting, accessible, safe and secure.
- By June 2018, provide an update to the School Board based upon the effectiveness of the Climate and Culture Directors during this initial year in improving school climate District-wide as measured by a reduction in the number of suspensions, detentions, fights and referrals and observable improvements in the climate and culture across the District as reported by students, teachers, staff in creating a scholarly environment where students are engaged in their studies and teachers are supported and recognized for for leading a positive learning environment focused on pride, equity, and proficiency and a sense of wellbeing.
- Provide an update about the work of building-based committees to identify and address issues of equity, access and opportunity, especially for our historically underperforming students.
- Provide an update on professional development opportunities for administrators and teacher leaders in establishing and strengthening professional learning communities as it relates to enhancing school climate and culture.
CATEGORY D: Organizational Leadership
Through leadership and recruitment of central administration and school-based leadership staff, create a culture that encourages risk-taking, creative thinking and advancing the vision of the District and success of our students.
- Implement recommendations identified by the administration and educational leaders engaged by the District in 2017 to address achievement gaps at all academic levels based upon best practice. Provide a report to the Board July 2018 of the effectiveness and progress of these recommendations.
- Provide cultural proficiency and social cultural identity training for all administrators during the 2017-2018 school year.
- Continue to work with teachers in developing and implementing changes to curriculum and educational program based upon findings of the Curriculum and Special Education audits.
CATEGORY E: Human Resource Management
Establish the Cheltenham School District as an employer of choice for highly qualified and creative people who reflect and value the rich diversity of our District, and who work together to meet students’ needs and achieve the District’s mission and vision.
- Continue to monitor and report to the School Board by June 2018 actions from across the District focused on meeting Act 82 requirements for District staff.
- Report to the School Board no later than the end of July 2018 activities intended to recruit and retain highly qualified, diverse teachers, staff, and administrators.
CATEGORY F: Communications and Community Relations
Continue to foster transparency in District communications using all available media technologies.
- Successfully fill the position of Communications Director and with the Director identify additional resources and supports that improve the communications and promotion of the District.
- Provide oversight for the continued development of a public relations plan to inform the public, and to engage the media to ensure clear, visible and continuous reporting of CSD’s accomplishments.
- Implement the Communications Committee that was approved by the School Board.
CATEGORY G: Facilities/Operations Management
Maintain and maximize the use of our buildings.
- Provide oversight for the implementation and usage of the multi-year Facilities Plan and SchoolDude that proactively addresses maintenance needs, and implementation of improvements of existing building assets, providing a report to the Board and community in July 2018.
- Provide oversight of the ongoing repairs and renovations within the building to ensure minimal impact on instructional practice.
- Provide oversight to facilitate completion of construction and reopening of Cedarbrook by September 2018.
CATEGORY H: Financial Management
Operate the School District in a fiscally prudent manner while balancing educational needs and opportunities.
- Deliver a balanced budget that puts in place financial resources that better support and enhance effective teaching and diverse learning opportunities.
- Begin implementation of a template for use during the 2017-18 school year of multi-year budget development and long-term financial planning.
- Continue to identify and report about opportunities for alternative revenue sources and collaborations to support our educational objectives and facility needs.